P.za Martiri della Liberta', 30 - 17027 Pietra Ligure SV - Tel. 019.629311 - P. IVA e C.F. 00332440098 Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure
  • Comune di Pietra Ligure

Seeing Pietra

PDF  Print  E-mail 

Chiesa Pietra Ligure

Most ancient Castrum et Oppidum Pietrae owes its name to the imposing military installation on top of an isolated boulder overlooking the sea.

Human settlement in the area dates back to earlier Neolithic times, as archaeological evidence indicates from nearby Monte Trabocchetto caves. The city, at the mouth of the Maremola River, developed around the existing fortified citadel and became a bulwark of Byzantium against the Lombards. A property of the bishop of Albenga, together with the surrounding territories, the original citadel was rebuilt a medieval castle in the 13th century. Traces of this architecture remain, coexisting with subsequent redesigns in the 16th and 18th centuries. The remains of medieval Pietra are also definitively an integral part of reorganization and development of urban space of later periods.

In 1385 Pope Urban VI ceded Pietra, together with nearby Borgio, Verezzi, Giustenice and other territories, to the Republic of Genoa, which retained their possession until the annexation to the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia.

Pietra flourished a center of maritime trade from the 18th through to the 20th century.

Healthy air and a mild climate almost all year round made Pietra a renowned seaside resort.

Monumental Pietra Ligure testifies to a history of a thousand years. Most ancient and a complete architectural example is Pietra’s 11th century ‘Oratorio dei Bianchi’. In picturesque Piazza Vecchia, or Piazza del Mercato, it served originally as Pietra’s parish church named after Saint Nicholas of Bari, redesigned in the Baroque period; its interiors feature a three-aisled structure on columns of local Verezzi stone. Standardized olive oil containers from republican Genoa and the remains of a medieval well are hosted inside, which were originally located on the Piazza Vecchia.

The campanile hosts a bronze bell which, in 1525, according to local tradition, was tolled by the hand of Saint Nicholas to announce the end of a plague epidemic.

The oratory serves today as an auditorium.

Art at 16th century Chiesa dell’Annunziata includes valuable Maragliano’s Madonna del Rosario and De Ferrari’s Saint Catherine and Saint Lucy imploring the Christ for the sake of souls in purgatory.

An Annunciation by Brandimarte stands out in the apse.

Before he became pope, Pius V (1566 – 1572) long sojourned here.

The church is today the host of the Confraternity of Saint Catherine.

Built by princely Doria family late in the 16th century to favor local devotees, the sanctuary of Nostra Signora del Soccorso is a single aisle design, enlarged laterally and with marble portals by D. Solari. Inside, G. Porta’s marble altar is surmounted by a 17th century altarpiece by B. Castello. Central to the altarpiece is a 15th century Madonna and child, the fine work of an unknown artist.

Dedicated to city patron Saint Nicholas of Bari, Pietra’s main church was erected late in the 18th century to fulfill a vow of 1525, on a design by architect G.B. Montaldo. The dome is a design by G. Fantone. The building was consecrated in 1791.

Flanked by bell towers on both sides, the facade is a construction of early in the 19th century.

Surmonted by a handsome frescoed dome, the interior has one grandiosity only, determined by vast rectangular space onto which chapels open of various width. The church has a collection of paintings including Saint Francis receiving the stigmata by C. Castello and Mount Calvary and Saint Stephen by A. and G.B. Montanari. The wooden choir is from Marseille’s cathedral.

The Palazzo Leale Franchelli, now a private residence, was erected in the 18th century on the site of an earlier 13th century construction. The palazzo has interior frescoes by A. Novaro.

Also noteworthy are the Palazzo Golli, Pietra’s city authority building, with a remarkable 15th century portal, a pietra del Finale stone construction; the Villa Accame and ancient palazzi Bado, Basadonne, Bosio-Giorni, Chiappe and the Villa Carlotta, a rich 19th century interior design.

0001
0001
0002
0003
0004
0005